Requests for Absence During School Term
Requests for absence during school term
This academy actively discourages absence during term time. It is considered that each student should attend all sessions regularly and punctually in order to avoid disruption and maximise their educational achievement. Our full attendance policy is available to view on request or on the school website.
(Extract from Attendance Policy)
Leave of Absence
- (1) Leave of absence may only be granted by a person authorised in that behalf by the proprietor of the academy. (i.e. Head teacher/Principal)
(1A) Subject to paragraph (2) (which relates to employment abroad), leave of absence shall not be granted unless-
- an application has been made in advance to the proprietor (Head teacher/Principal) by a parent with whom the pupil normally resides; and
- the proprietor, or a person authorised by the proprietor in accordance with paragraph (1), considers that leave of absence should be granted due to the exceptional circumstances relating to that application.
Information and Procedures
- Parents/carers are required to complete a Term Time Absence Request Form. Parents must detail the exceptional circumstances of the request. The form is available from the House Office or by download from the school website.
- One form per student should be submitted and all parents/carers who live with the student must sign the form, absent parents with PR who do not reside with the student(s) should also sign the form if they are involved in the absence.
- All requests must be made at least 4 weeks before the period of absence to allow the school to consider authorising the absence.
- Absence during term time will only be authorised if the absence is for exceptional circumstances. Examples of what does not constitute exceptional circumstances: birthdays, holidays, shopping trips, visiting or being visited by friends or family, weddings of non-immediate family members or friends.
- The school will respond to request in writing giving reasons for the decision, what happens if the requested dates are not adhered to and notification of what further action may happen i.e. A Penalty Notice Warning with subsequent Penalty Notice being issued under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003, or legal action for failing to ensure regular attendance at school under Section 444(1) of the Education Act 1996.